Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Study English With Me

 Co-written by Geo Dimitrov (http://geodimitrov.blogspot.com/)

Dedicated to all people struggling with English, trying to understand it, to speak and to write.




Do you struggle?


 This is the introductory article of the “Study English With Me” series. Here we’ll focus on the problems most people meet while learning English and my personal solutions of these problems. Before we get started I want to say that this method is not my invention, nor I pretend to be an expert. As usual, I just share with you my thoughts, my feelings and my personal experience. Just like you I am not a native English speaker, so let me help you!




Billions of people all around the world speak some English. Even while reading this, millions are studying it. So I think this article could be of great help to many people. I’ll do my best to put it simple and clear. If you have any questions or you just want to share something, feel free to do it.


My Story

  

I was born in Bulgaria and my native language is Bulgarian. I’ve started learning English when I was 12 years old. At the beginning it was just the basics and the alphabet (the Bulgarian alphabet is different). But that’s not difficult and certainly it’s not a problem for 99% of you. Ok, but next?



Then for a period of 10 years I wasn’t actually learning (though I was studying). I was struggling. You know, I just couldn’t speak: I had thousands of words in my vocabulary, a lot of grammar rules, but still stuck in the middle of nowhere and very confused. Obviously there was something in the learning process that wasn’t working properly.  I started asking questions…



Is it me? Is it the school? Is it the teacher? Is it the method?



No, it’s not you (you’re not stupid), it’s not the school, it’s not the teacher. It is the WAY you do it.



So, are you ready to hear this? One thing is certain: what follows is 100% real and from my own experience.

 


The Problem…


 


What is the real problem? What makes people feel uncomfortable about their results? What makes you feel frustrated while learning English?



It is the fact you progress (if you are lucky enough to progress) very slowly: you cannot feel the results, your motivation is gone, you build a negative attitude. Moreover, most probably you cannot understand the speech of native people, you speak very slowly with big pauses (which frustrate you), you can’t even speak in English more than 5 minutes, because you feel exhausted. Why?



This is happening because you are making one MAJOR mistake: while speaking English you are thinking in your own language. This means your brain is troubled by a permanent translation process (that’s why you have a headache) and this leads to pauses, breaks, confusion and negative mindset.



Believe me, if there’s a problem, certainly there’s a solution for it. This is the purpose of “Study English With Me” series. I have only one condition: I want you to act.

Are you struggling? Do you want to put an end to this and start speaking easily and automatically?


 


If your answer is “Yes” you can proceed and take the very first lesson.

 


LESSON NUMBER 1:


 

STOP DOING WHAT YOU’VE BEEN DOING SO FAR! 
Stop doing it. Stop it right now. Just erase it from your mind, delete it TOTALLY!

You know where to throw all textbooks...



Congratulations, you’ve already  taken your FIRST (and most IMPORTANT) Lesson! It seems you’re moving forward. See you in the next article.

Related Articles:


No comments:

Post a Comment